- For many years, most medical and health-related research was done solely on men, and it was assumed that women had the same health problems and needs. We now realize that this is not true. The symptoms and progression of health issues differ between men and women due to their unique physiology, and both genders may benefit from different health strategies. One concern exclusive to men involves the prostate.As a man ages, his prostate will often change. It may become enlarged, which can result in a variety of diffi- culties with urination.Issues that begin with slightly more frequent urination and less ability to start a stream of urine may initially go unnoticed. However, over time, the prostate can become so enlarged that it may block urine from passing from the bladder to the urethra. While the exact amount of enlargement varies, the prostate is approximately the size of a walnut at age 30 but can grow to the size of a lemon by the age of 70. Eventually, this enlargement can cause a backup of urine, resulting in the incomplete emptying of the bladder, which can lead to urinary tract infections. Additionally, due to the blockage of the urethra, the bladder muscles have to work harder. This can cause them to thicken and become overly sensitive, which may further increase the frequency of both urina- tion and nightly sleep interruptions.
Men in their early 50s may experience inflammation of the prostate gland (prostatitis) or BPH: non-cancer- ous prostate enlargement. According to figures from the Cleveland Clinic, half of all men will have symptoms of BPH by the age of 50, and that number increases to 80 percent by the age of 60.
Although the exact cause of BPH is unknown, studies indicate that it may relate to testosterone’s conversion to a potent hormone called dihydrotestosterone (DHT).
Key Benefits and Features
- Supports urinary health
- Helps to maintain healthy urinary flow
- May reduce urination frequency
- Contains antioxidants that help neutralize free radicals
- Acts as an aphrodisiac and uterine supplement
- Improves enzyme efficacy
- Gelatin capsule is certified Halal and Kosher
- Saw palmetto derived from berry oil extractSaw Palmetto Berry Oil ExtractTraditional saw palmetto has been used for general wellness for the past 200 years. Recent research in rela- tion to saw palmetto extract and prostate health has been extensive. The extract is rich in fatty acids and phytosterols, which are a type of lipid found in plant cell membranes. AIM’s saw palmetto berry oil extract contains sitosterol and campesterol, two plant sterols that may block the absorption of cholesterol through the intestine . Many poor quality supplements use saw palmetto berry powder instead of the berry extract in order to keep costs down, but this alternative provides only a fraction of the benefits.
Studies indicate saw palmetto suppresses DHT activ- ity by inhibiting 5-alpha-reductase, the enzyme respon- sible for conversion of testoster-
one into DHT. Furthermore, the
Journal of the American Medi-
cal Association reported that
320 mg a day of saw palmetto
extract improves urinary symp-
toms as effectively as prescrip-
tion drugs. ReAssure SP provides
320 mg of saw palmetto extract
standardized to 85 percent fatty
acid content per serving.